Monday 8 August 2011

003 - Dr. Sketchy

Here are some life drawings from yesterday.  I went to this Dr. Sketchy session with my friend Christine.  It was a pretty cool set-up: instead of a studio it was held in a restaurant/pub.  It made the roll of newsprint I brought kind of useless (since there were no easels), but luckily I had my sketchbook.  These are all pretty tiny compared to normal life drawings (5.5" x 8.5" instead of 18" x 24"), but it was definitely a fair trade since I could order a beer.



These first ones were 1 minute poses each.  Heavy pen so I tried not to let it get too "sketchy"



These were more 1s.  The scan kinda messed up the pencil lines, but these weren't anything special.



I used two pens and one pencil (oh and some colour later) for the whole night.  This one was just a regular cheap "clicky" pen.  It has way more of a heavy/light gradient so I tend to sketch a little more with it, kind of roughing things in before darkening things up.



This is how the other two pencil ones were supposed to look (colour wise), I like this drawing better too.




These last two 5 minute poses came out pretty well.  The atmosphere and model were a neat change from the usual life drawing.  Funny how even though the model always had clothes (albeit sometimes just barely - do tassels count as clothes?) the poses were purposefully "hot".

The paper in my sketchbook is actually slightly off-white, I tried highlighting the last one with a white marker, but it didn't really show up.


Played with perspective a bit.  Anyone from Art Fundamentals remember the Bigfoot project?  Thankfully this one took 355 fewer minutes.


Ya this one's a little off.  Lots of people seem to sit with crossed legs, but I still haven't quite figured out how to draw it consistently.  Eyes are a little bizaro too.  I doubt I'll usually post all the drawings from a session, but I put up nearly all of them from this one since it was quite different.


Ha ha...So this one...This one was part of a little mini-contest where the winner was supposed to get a free drink.  The theme was most outrageous anime girl - or something like that.  I don't really watch much anime (although I did catch a few episodes of Soul Eater this week, and incidentally it's kind of awesome but back to this sketch) so other than going for some giant...eyes, I would have been at a bit of a loss.  The catch was that halfway through the time we were supposed to trade sketches with the person next to us.  Luckily I'm pretty sure Christine has seen one or two anime, so she was able to ratchet up the outrageous factor a bit.  If you like this one you can thank Christine, if you don't you can blame the start I passed to her.


This was the first pose after the intermission.  The costume for the second half was "bad school teacher", and I'm not really sure what the costume from the first half was: anime-burlesque-pop?  Either way they were pretty cool, and the model had fun with them.  This was a 15 minute pose, so I tried to go for a clean line once I had some rough structure in there.


Christine brought some nice pencil crayons that I realized part way through, were actually water-colour pencil crayons.  I might try brushing on some water to see what happens to these.  Kept the line looser on this one.  I like the right arm here.

We arrived a couple minutes before the event started, but most of the tables were already full.  Our spot actually ended up being pretty good, except it was a little hard to see just above the bar - where most of this pose was, so either I was stretching to see the feet or guessed somewhat correctly.


Decent enough job on the crossed legs.  The knee socks were actually helpful for finding contours.  Added a little green to contrast the red.  Maybe a little too Christmasy?


Last one of the night.  Might be my favorite too.  Stuck with just a little red against the black.  Decent enough job getting the hips in there, and it actually feels like she's both leaning and sitting.  The feet both seem to have a slight turn to them (rather than being straight profile).  Shoes (especially heels) are oddly annoying to draw, but these seem alright.  I like how the one hand rests on her belly and the other slightly curls around the chair bar.  Nice weight to the pose.  Also, I didn't wreck the face this time and even managed to get the glasses on there.  The elbow bugs me a tiny bit, but I've certainly drawn worse.

That's a wrap.  Pretty fun way to spend a Sunday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment